[Kolab-devel] Brain dump of the week: Horde roadmap

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Feb 12 16:39:19 CET 2010

Hi!

A working Horde 3 installation for the Kolab Server appeared first in
middle of 2008. At that time I said that I would support this
installation for three years. After that we'd switch to Horde 4.

Now, after one and a half years it still looks like my estimate wasn't
too far off. Horde 4 is of course still work in progress but the mail
client is already in stabilization phase and the dynamic calender is
progressing towards it. Of course there are also other things worth
mentioning but I don't want to give a complete overview of the Horde 4
changes here but rather stick to the time line I have in mind.

When I started working on the Horde/Kolab integration 4 years ago
Horde 3 was already released. So I had to compromise on some issues
for reasons of backward compatibility. In addition there was not much
time for testing before the client went on the Kolab server.
Consequently using the Kolab web client has not always be a pleasant
experience for the users.

So for Horde 4 I wanted to ensure I'd be involved as early as possible
in the development and I also wanted to release test packages for the
Kolab server at an early time point.

As far as I can tell this worked out as planned. Of course I could
have even had more time than I had for the development and there is
still a lot to do for Horde 4. But taking into account that most of
this is unpaid work I can say I'm still pretty happy with the progress.

The first set of Horde 4 test packages went into Kolab CVS last week.
Nothing fancy yet: You only get the Horde base application at the
moment. The mail  (Imp) and calendar (kronolith) applications are
still missing. Should be added soon though.

So far, so good. I'll try to tell you more next week. Or the one after
that :) We'll see.

Cheers,

Gunnar