[Kolab-devel] Brain Dump of the $ARBITRARY_TIME_SPAN -- heading for HEAD...

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Thu Feb 4 18:03:42 CET 2010

Hi *,

yes its a long time since the last brain dump and I definitely failed on
establishing a weekly issue.  Anyway a lot of stuff happened and so at
least there are some interesting subjects to report on:

The year started with the traditional annual KDE PIM developer meeting.
It a client event and so I wasn't really part of it but there are
various reports on line.[1]  As every year it was an exiting event and
the reports are surly worthwhile reading.  The highlight this year seems
to have been a snowball fight which took place in the "Schlossgarten" of
Osnabrück.  You can find pics online, and when you look closely you
might spot some well known people, new to the kolab community.[2]

The server side of things was a bit less bright at January.  We had two
security advisories for the freshly released server 2.2.3: One bug in
spam assassin[3], which wasn't our fault and -- besides being a nuisance
-- was good for a laugh.  The other was a bug in the kolab web admin
interface, definitely our fault and at least in my eyes a bit
embarrassing: users weren't able to change their own user data --
including their passwords.[4]

The later problem showed once more how important thorough testing is,
even and especially of features which always used to work.  So Thomas
and I reactivated our plans to create a more complete formalized testing
protocol for Kolab Server.  Currently I'm evaluating an in house tool,
developed by another department, which allows online (web interface) and
offline use of test protocols.[5]  It looks promising and although it is
primarily intended for internal use at Intevation we will surly publish
the test protocols to community, once they are ready.

By end of January Gunnar finished the first sprint of his work on kolab
server HEAD and it finally builds and works again.  Even more: most of
the fixes from 2.2.3 have been merged and successfully tested!  Big
thanks to Gunnar for his great work!

As a final notice, and hands on feature to test: I committed today a
first version of Bernhard Herzog's Cross Domain ACL support[6].  Its in
2.2.branch (will be merged to HEAD soon).  As always testers are highly
welcome and any reports are appreciated!

That's all folks...
cheers and happy hacking
sascha

[1]  http://dot.kde.org/2010/01/14/annual-osnabr%C3%BCck-pim-meeting-brings-exciting-announcements-and-ambitious-plans
     http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Cold-War-at-the-Eighth-KDE-PIM-Gathering
     http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Meetings/Osnabrueck_8
[2]  I'm not entitled to state whether this has or has not something to
     do with the exiting news I promised you soon to come...  :)
[3]  http://kolab.org/security/kolab-vendor-notice-26.txt
[4]  http://kolab.org/security/kolab-vendor-notice-27.txt
[5]  For those nosy guys of you, the software can be found here:
     http://hg.intevation.org/intests/
     only the framework, nothing kolab specific yet.
[6]  https://issues.kolab.org/issue1141
--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/