[Kolab-devel] Phone call tracker for Horde client

Tue Apr 27 16:08:53 CEST 2010

Quoting "Gunnar Wrobel" <wrobel at pardus.de>:

> Of course you should contact them, too :) We always have people
> contributing new applications to Horde CVS (or git nowadays). You
> would get valuable feedback there.

That may be, but the people in this shop seem to utterly fail to make
any distinction between Horde and Kolab. I was instructed to post here
and so I did. :P
Courtesy of paranoid firewall admins, we might have some trouble
commiting stuff to git anyways. That and there is the issue of
targeting H3 for compatibility; it would appear this whole application
will promptly cease working once you switch to H4.

> And there might be interesting  applications in the phone area with
> which you could integrate.
>
> I wonder to which extent it integrates with the "Shout" appplication
>  (http://git.horde.org/shout/). Probably not too much but there
> might  be come overlap.

Again, the outdated Horde installation rains on my parade. I could not
seem to get Shout running, I suspect it wants H4 and SQL, both of
which we lack. Moreover, there is no API doc whatsoever (this seems to
be quite Horde-specific), so I frankly wouldn't know what to inegrate
*with*. The project doesn't even seem to have a sub-page on the Horde
site. Whatever happened to the old mantra "if you want people using
your code, document it". Seems lots of people over there flunked
Software Engineering 101.

> I think there is no doubt that we want it. Question is what kind of
> support it gets where. From my point of view I'd definitely like to
> see it in Horde CVS and git.

So would people here. Perhaps we will give them a shout (no pun
intended) after all. Though, quite frankly, I don't know which would
be sadder -- if they rejected it or if they actually merged it. Either
way, Gossip should probably be considered "transitional" at best; both
because of the H3 vs. H4 issue and the fact that there will needs to
be a lot of testing going on. So for the record (any users listening
in?), this is most certainly *not* fit for production use.

> I saw that you needed to patch Kolab.php for your application. I
> will  need to fix that as there shouldn't be any need to hack the
> code when  adding new applications. Another task for Horde 4.

Truer words have rarely been spoken. And while you're at it, how about
that documentation...? :D I literally spent days looking through code
to figure out how this whole IMAP storage dealie works. I wonder who
would willingly subject themselves to this.

> Thanks for providing the package!

Meh. I see how common courtesy demands I say "you're welcome" at this
point, but that may be stretching it a bit. I will *not* get started
with a wild rant about how this is all hopeless, but seriously? I was
more or less forced to code that, that's all there is to it.

Sincerely,
Simon Bausch,
currently with TBits.net GmbH