[Kolab-devel] shared calendar as long time reminding system?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 14 11:58:00 CEST 2009

Am Freitag, 11. September 2009 16:08:19 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:
> >> I think the Horde Alarm system allows setting up email reminders
> >> via a  cron job.
> >
> > From the concept side I do not see how this could work reliably.
> > In order to read a folder, any client would need the users credentials
> > which should only be kept in memory as long as the client is active.
> > A cron job is another client and it dies not have the credentials to
> > access the folder of any user.
>
> Correct. The current reminder script is targeted at the
> SQL-Installation and the assumption is that you have an admin user
> that can read all events. This is easy for SQL but not the case if you
> have IMAP.
>
> We do however already employ some kind of shared access for our
> resource accounts on the Kolab server. And often is might also be
> sufficient if there is only one specific user sending out reminders.

Yes, we do this by granting access to a special daemon user called "calendar"
which in turn gets to have access to all the folders.

> In these limited cases you could provide the corresponding credentials
> for the cron job in a config file. I had hoped the current reminder
> script allows something like that.

Just to be extra clear:
The real user credentials must never be saved  on the server system,
except hashed in the directory server of course. This mean we would need to
workd by another users like "reminder" or a different construct.