[Kolab-devel] Moving away from OpenPKG (was: Re: How to test the Kolab server)

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Mon Nov 23 22:40:50 CET 2009

Op maandag 23 november 2009 22:24:12 schreef Gunnar Wrobel:
> > If the Kolab Konsortium wants to shift away from openPKG, it
> > will pick one other distro, with a long term contract (SLES, Ubuntu
> > LTE, RH, CentOS, etc).
>
> Hm, I have to disagree to that. Of course this is just my opinion but
> from the discussion we had one and a half weeks ago I had the
> impression that we would not like to throw away the advantage that you
> can install the Kolab server on most base distributions. So we were
> talking about using source based distributions and the favorite one
> seemed to be pkgsrc
> (http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html).

I was not aware of that.  Good to hear this!

> There was one
> lonely voice pleading for Gentoo - yes, it was me - but I guess I hope
> in vain :)

:)

[snip

> Are the distributions supported by the build service limited to RPM?

.deb is supported too.  It is unfortenately not possible to convert an spec
file to .deb control file.  The .spec file and the .deb control file have to
be maintained manually.  But the sources and .changes file and patches are all
shared.

BTW, it might even be possible to make instance for openpkg.   But that won't
be done by the people on build.opensuse.org. But perhaps others will add it to
the build service, it's opensrc so why not ;)  But the openpkg spec files are
very different than the regular .spec files, hence those .spec files can
probably not be used for other distributions :(

--
Richard