[Kolab-devel] [issue3947] Some parts of the Web Client decode header lines more than once

Sascha Wilde issues at kolab.org
Mon Nov 16 17:45:40 CET 2009

New submission from Sascha Wilde <wilde at intevation.de>:

While working on issue3464 I had to learn that some components of the
Web Client decodes mail headers more than once.

The instance I stumbled upon:

When viewing the mail with the double encoded From header in DIMP I
see the (start of the) correct decoded Version:

Sonderzeichen: =?utf-8?b?w6TDtsO8w ...

in the "From" column of the mailbox summary window.  But below in the
mail preview window I see:

from Sonderzeichen: äöüßÄÖÜ€ にほん (NICHT VERTRAUENSWÜRDIG, der Absender
<user at example.com> ist nicht authentifiziert) <user at example.com>

so in the later case it seems that the from header has been at least
decoded two times subsequently.  (Though I would tend to suspect that
the decoder runs recursively in this case, but I haven't verified
that.)

This is wrong, the header should be decoded only once in all cases.

More speculation: I wouldn't be surprised if this problem would exist
in more than one place, so once the pattern of the described problem
has been discovered, the rest of the Web Client source should be
searched for it.

assignedto: wrobel
keyword: web client
messages: 22335
nosy: martin, thomas, wilde, wrobel
status: unread
title: Some parts of the Web Client decode header lines more than once