[Kolab-devel] why not ship Kolab with Samba by default?

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun May 31 16:49:24 CEST 2009

On Sunday 31 May 2009 12:21:22 Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

Hi,

> * Kolab's web interface is not compatible with Samba (i.e. it doesn't
> add some required LDAP attributes for Samba) - so you have to use a
> different webgui for adding users: LAM (LDAP Account Manager)

Is it incompatible or simple lacking to expose some attributes?
If it is the later we may consider to makeing them optionally available via
the Kolab webadmin tool.

> * current LAM release needs php-hash extension, which is not available
> with Kolab; I have no idea how one adds custom PHP extensions to Kolab
> (or perhaps, OpenPKG). Which leaves me two choices:

If we can figure out the exect requirements (versions, options etc) I can
imagine to add the PHP hash extension to the Kolab distribution.

> * overall, such process is overly complicated; would be great if one
> could, during Kolab bootstrapping, just choose to add Samba domain
> controller, and everything would work flawlessly from scratch

This would be best. Just how we currently deal with Horde.

Yours,
-- martin

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126