[Kolab-devel] New Kontact e35 version in apt "testing"!

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Mon Mar 2 10:03:03 CET 2009

Bernhard,

On Friday 27 February 2009 08:54:55 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2009 15:16:06 schrieb ITSEF Admin:
[...]
> > I've been building (K)ubuntu 8.04 packages from the "unstable" packages
> > for quite some time now for our users.
[...]
> in the mid term we hope to set up a mill for building ubuntu packages
> as well, all we need is a maintainer for the packaging of this version.
> Thomas, you are a likely candidate to help us here, aren't you? >;)

Now, who didn't see that one coming? :-} I'd say, once you're far enough,
contact me off-list and we can discuss this. I doubt I'll be able to support
anything but Kubuntu 8.04 until well after Kubuntu 9.10 has been released,
but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'd be interested in the plans
for KDE4, anyway, at some point...

> As a packager you would want to start once "unstable" has a new version
> ideally right now.

Yup, which is exactly what I'm doing - not least because usually, there are
fixes in there that help us.

> > The difference between "unstable" and "testing" is still not quite clear
> > to me - "testing" seems to have seen even more testing, but what exactly?
>
> A number of people directly install from the "unstable" respository. So it
> is about one week of real usage for at least 10 users.
>
> experimental -> unstable:  basic test, change test and better than before
> unstable -> testing: real usage for at least a week
>
> I am still considering when to move to stable. Maybe after another week
> given at least about three independent feedbacks that nothing has krept up.

Hm - so far, I've never been in that loop, i.e. I never reported back unless
something went wrong. Am I right in assuming that "positive" reports would
also be helpful for you? In that case I'll try and keep an eye on what comes
back from our users after I pushed the latest unstable out here.

Regards,

Thomas