[Kolab-devel] Adding features to kolab2.schema

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sun Mar 1 22:26:00 CET 2009

Quoting Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> Am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2009 12:50:46 schrieb Martin Konold:
>> In general I would like to hear your opinion about the proposed change.
>
> There is a notion when dealing with data privacy and this is that
> forms should
> be as simple as possible. The problem with many empty slots is that there are
> some sort of people that will try to fill all values in. So an empty slot
> for dateOfBirth, placeOfBirth and birthName will create entries in there in
> some case. Companies might get in trouble filling this data in germany.
> Some organisations need this like the citizen registration of the
> muncipality.
> So I guess I am looking for the use case for some of the values.
> This is at least an argument against some of the values.
>
> Also they would clutter of the screen in web-admin.

I guess one would not necessarily need to add full support to the web
admin immediately. The web admin does not need to be as rigid as it is
now about the user data. If it would behave a little bit more like
Turba from Horde does it would be easy for a sys-admin to define the
attributes he actually wants to support. So the web admin would only
display these.

For that it would be good to have the basic schema so that admins can
rig their system to their needs without much hassle.

This might also make the current global address book more valuable.

Cheers,

Gunnar