[Kolab-devel] annotations patch in c-client what is the status?

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Fri Jun 5 14:27:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

Op vrijdag 05 juni 2009 12:03:43 schreef Martin Konold:
> On Friday 05 June 2009 08:39:16 Richard Bos wrote:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> > >  - security fixes versus blackmail
> >
> > Indeed, but have a look at this page: http://panda.com/imap/
> > and see the number of fixes that have been made to the
> > c-client already.  Would a fork be able to provide the same
> > number of fixes?
>
> Claiming to have fixed a security problem without disclosure is simply
> blackmailing. I am not interested in dealing with these people.
>
> Maybe it is better to invest either in a fork or in another solution.

What about the other solution?  In another e-mail you wrote:
In addition I noticed that Horde is moving away to c-client (due to lackof
features)

http://cvs.horde.org/co.php/imp/docs/RFCS?rt=horde-hatchery

(Some of these RFCs are not supported by c-client)

What it be possible to replace the c-client functionality completely with
horde libraries?  I believe I have read on this list that the c-client is
needed because of speed.  A pure php implementation would be too slow.   But
perhaps better a slow implementation that is maintained, than one that is fast
and not maintained.  As the current c-client is shareware and no longer open
source, the claim on kolab's home page is unfortunately not correct:
"The implementations offered by us are Free Software (Open Source)" :(

In case a full horde implementation would be used, would that imply that the
patches get/set annotation and my_rights would be no longer needed?  (the
patches are described as: PHP uses the c-client library and requires patches
to use the annotation features that are provided within the c-client library
of a Kolab server)

Looking forward to a good solution for this!  Shall I open a prio urgent issue
for it?

--
Richard