[Kolab-devel] why not ship Kolab with Samba by default?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 1 09:33:15 CEST 2009

Hi
(being back from vacation and two longer business trips)

Am Sonntag, 31. Mai 2009 15:31:21 schrieb Richard Bos:
> Op zondag 31 mei 2009 15:11:41 schreef Tomasz Chmielewski:
> > Are there any technical arguments against it (besides additional
> > maintenance burden)?
>
> I believe that the maintenance burden is one reason, another one is testing
> for a release and that there is not yet a customer that requires this
> functionality.  Another thing is that I think that the kolab core
> developers would like this to be supported via a plugin architecture.

This sums is up pretty much, thanks Richard.
Just one note on maintenance burden: It grows exponentially with the supported
number of components.

Martin is also right in that getting Samba right for all cases is not really
possible.

[plug-in architecture]

> This  isn't there yet and as such it needs to be developed.
> When this feature is
> indeed supported via plugin architecture the maintenance burden and testing
> effort for a release are indeed no longer a part of the core developers
> responsibility.

As Martin has pointed out, if there are precise requirements we might it
easier to have the components ready in Kolab Server/Openpkg for people to
integrate Samba in one variation.