[Kolab-devel] Horde can now store Preferences in IMAP (was: Horde preferences: LDAP or IMAP?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 6 09:37:13 CET 2009

Moin Martin,

[to kolab-devel@ only as this is mainly about the implementation]

On Montag, 5. Januar 2009, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. Januar 2009 10:19:55 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > This is what makes the discussion interesting. The use of LDAP for
> > daily client preferences in Kolab Server 2.2.0 was by mistake.
>
> No it was an intermediate solution in order to avoid an additional piece of
> compley software (RDBMS).

my remark was technical about the server 2.2.0
and the web client implementation coming with it.
This web client was not scalable for several servers
(as it should have been) and it should not have used LDAP.

> > Until we have a good proposal for the Kolab Format, it should be file,
> > as this is what most other clients also use.
>
> Using a file instead of IMAP breaks the scalability aspect of the Kolab
> Webclient.

I merely suggested to use file as default until we have come up with a nice
proposal for the IMAP format which also incoporates other clients.

> > A client could potentially write this data on any display refresh
> > or client action. Just think about index files that contain special flags
> > per email. So I guess that there will be always client data that will
> > need to be saved client locally per user.
>
> I don't understand this. E.g. a webclient can easily use the more efficient
> session instead of persistent storage in order to keep volatile data (which
> can easily be regenerated anyway)

Hmm, I am also still thinking about this.

Let us assume a folder with 20K emails in it,
Kontact keeps an index files to accelerate the display of this information.
If it would not keep such an index files between sessions, it would need to
parse all 20K emails on the first selection of the folder or startup.
This seems to indicate that someone would need a permanent local storage
for the client.

Note that also for Kontact you would need different preferences
settings as you usually have one client in your workplace, one at home, one
mobile netbook and you would want different settings with them, e.g.
a different local subscription of folders.
It would be cool for the Kolab Concept to support all these different
needs for storing configurations, but the problem seems to be hard.
There are meanwhile two discontinued attempts by the Cyrus people to solve
this problems.

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)