[Kolab-devel] Adding features to kolab2.schema

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Feb 27 09:02:37 CET 2009

Am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2009 12:50:46 schrieb Martin Konold:
> In general I would like to hear your opinion about the proposed change.

There is a notion when dealing with data privacy and this is that forms should
be as simple as possible. The problem with many empty slots is that there are
some sort of people that will try to fill all values in. So an empty slot
for dateOfBirth, placeOfBirth and birthName will create entries in there in
some case. Companies might get in trouble filling this data in germany.
Some organisations need this like the citizen registration of the muncipality.
So I guess I am looking for the use case for some of the values.
This is at least an argument against some of the values.

Also they would clutter of the screen in web-admin.

> Especially I would like to know if you think that the added complexity of
> seperating legal person (like a company or a foundation) from a natural
> person (individual) is worthwile?
>
> (I have my doubts because mail for a company is not so much different from
> mail for an individual)

 Ideally someone would want define relationships between objects, like
users A,B,D are a member of company X and can be reached at subsidery M.
I guess that many directory services are not up to this yet, they seem to be
focussed on digital identities. Given that many companies do have a major
email and street address, keeping one entry for both seems fine to me.

For billing purposes I would propose a folder with "contact" objects in Kolab.
Still those do not represent the relationships I have mentioned above.

Best,
Bernhard