[Kolab-devel] New Kontact e35 version in apt "testing"!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Feb 27 08:54:55 CET 2009

Thomas,

Am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2009 15:16:06 schrieb ITSEF Admin:
> On Thursday 26 February 2009 12:58:19 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > a version of the KDE Kolab Client Enterprise35 for Debian GNU/Linux Etch
> > got moved to  https://apt.intevation.de/dists/etch/testing/ .
>
> [...]
>
> > All this can be a good starting point for rebuilding binaries for Lenny,
> > other platforms like ppc or to package for a different distribution like
> > Ubuntu oder UCS.
>
> I've been building (K)ubuntu 8.04 packages from the "unstable" packages for
> quite some time now for our users. They probably still have some "quick
> hacks" in them, but if anyone is interested in info please let me know.
> I've tried to find a compromise between the Debian-kk version and the
> original Kubuntu version - mainly, all installation locations/desktop
> categories are those from Kubuntu.

in the mid term we hope to set up a mill for building ubuntu packages
as well, all we need is a maintainer for the packaging of this version.
Thomas, you are a likely candidate to help us here, aren't you? >;)

As a packager you would want to start once "unstable" has a new version
ideally right now.

> > Versions on "testing" come from "unstable".They have survived the
> > internal quality control and about one week of real usage. We believe
> > they are ready for production quality. As always with software, some
> > issues are known.
>
> The difference between "unstable" and "testing" is still not quite clear to
> me - "testing" seems to have seen even more testing, but what exactly?

A number of people directly install from the "unstable" respository. So it is
about one week of real usage for at least 10 users.

experimental -> unstable:  basic test, change test and better than before
unstable -> testing: real usage for at least a week

I am still considering when to move to stable. Maybe after another week given
at least about three independent feedbacks that nothing has krept up.

Bernhard