[Kolab-devel] New Kontact e35 version in apt "testing"!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Feb 26 12:58:19 CET 2009

Hello,

a version of the KDE Kolab Client Enterprise35 for Debian GNU/Linux Etch
got moved to  https://apt.intevation.de/dists/etch/testing/ .
You will find there the typical components of a Debian package with sources.
For those unfamiliar with Debian, this is a tarball with additional files
and course some binaries build out of it which are only provided for ia32
from us.

All this can be a good starting point for rebuilding binaries for Lenny, other
platforms like ppc or to package for a different distribution like Ubuntu
oder UCS.

Versions on "testing" come from "unstable".They have survived the internal
quality control and about one week of real usage. We believe they are ready
for production quality. As always with software, some issues are known.

We encourage feedback about each current version from "testing"
so it can be moved to "stable". Of course feedback from "unstable" is also
very valueable and you get the improvements and corrections faster.

Background:
The Kolab-Konsortium people developing and maintaining
this enterprise 35 (e35)  version use a build service mill
to try to catch errors early: http://saegewerk.intevation.de/
About once a week we identify a drop candiate, which gets picked from the mill
and put up to "experimental". Now we do some internal quality control
which consists of a small basic test and a more intensive check of the part
that have changed since the last test. If all is fine and this candiate is
better compared to the last, we will move it to "unstable".

Our small basic test usually is a subset of
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kontact_Test_Plan

To find out what has changed between versions that you consider to install,
consult the NewsLog between the drop candidate dates in question:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/kdepim/enterprise/kdepim/NewsLog.txt?view=log

E35 is strictly for platforms where KDE 3.5 runs, e.g. GNU/Linux, BSD and
other Unix platforms. The next generation KDE runs on more platforms and its
Kolab Client is Enterprise4. In case you wonder: Yes, this is KDE Kontact
using its principal components like KMail, KOrganiser, KAddressbook and more,
enterprise just means that we use a special branch to develop this more
conservatively.

Best Regards,
Bernhard