[Kolab-devel] Horde webmail patch management for the Kolab web client

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Feb 2 08:37:37 CET 2009

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:

> Quoting Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:
>
>> * Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20090111 22:36]:
>>> The single patches required for the Kolab web client (based on
>>> Horde) can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://hg.pardus.de/cgi-bin/hg.cgi/horde/HORDE/
>>
>> I'm getting "abort: consistency error adding group!" when trying to
>> clone it, and I remember getting this in the past (December 2008?),
>> too.
>
> Hm, I admit I never tried cloning from that url.
>

>> When doing minimal incremental pulls I noticed that the server is
>> running out of memory, see
>> http://hg.pardus.de/cgi-bin/hg.cgi/horde/HORDE/rev/51
>
> Hrm.
>

>>> The reason why Mathieu asked about this is because he considers
>>> the  big monolithic patch in Kolab CVS problematic to track.
>>
>>> I still believe this is the best way to go. But on the other hand
>>> the way from the mercurial repository linked above to the final
>>> patch may be somewhat obscure. Do people have better ideas? Or
>>> should I just
>>> document it better in the wiki? Hoping for comments ;)
>>
>> combinediff from the patchutils package could be used to
>> automatically create the monolithic patch:
>> cat series | xargs combinediff
>
> As I'm moving to Horde 4 soon (and that includes moving away from
> patch management with mercurial) I guess I won't fix the problems
> you  mentioned but rather get the current patch queue into Kolab CVS.
>
> The ongoing development on Horde 4 could then be followed using git.
>  But I still have to get this set up.

I was able to do this quicker than I anticipated. git is a nice tool indeed.

So for everyone interested in the history and / or bleeding edge of
the kolab-webclient (based on Horde) development:

  - The project repository now resides at

    http://github.com/wrobel/horde-release/tree/master

  - You can easily clone the repository by running

    git clone git://github.com/wrobel/horde-release.git

  - The repository provides a topgit (http://repo.or.cz/w/topgit.git)
controlled
    patch queue. Don't bother to fully understand topgit (though it is
definitely
    worth it) if you just want to follow kolab-webclient HEAD. To track the
    latest state of the patch queue for the kolab-webclient you need to run
    within the repository you checked out above:

    git checkout -b kolab origin/t/KOLAB

    This will checkout the remote branch "t/KOLAB" (which is a
combination of all
    the required patches) into the local branch named  "kolab". In
order to stay
    up-to-date after that you just need to run:

    git pull

    (as long as you stay on the "kolab" branch. Otherwise issue a "git checkout
     kolab" before pulling).

  - If you are interested in topgit, you can also clone the full patch queue by
    running

    tg remote --populate origin

    from within the original checkout. This will fetch all patches.

  - If you copy /kolab/var/kolab/www/client/config/kolab.php and
    /kolab/var/kolab/www/client/kronolith/config/kolab.php to the respective
    places in your copy of the "t/KOLAB" branch then you should be able to use
    this checkout as a standard kolab-webclient and can test the newest
    fixes/features.

    This might also be the method I will soon recommend for setting up external
    web client installations.

At the current stage the whole thing is not yet very well tested, but
I effectively switched over to the new patch management and I assume
this to be useable soon.

Cheers,

Gunnar