[Kolab-devel] How to use the tests that are part of the pear modules?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Feb 2 07:47:24 CET 2009

Quoting Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm making some nice progress to get all the required pear modules for kolab
> available for openSUSE:
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/php:/applications/openSUSE_11.1/repodata/
>
> How can I use the tests that are part of the pear modules to verify that the
> packages are build, and have been installed (include their required packages)
> correctly?
>
> E.g.:
> /usr/share/php5/PEAR/test/Kolab_FreeBusy/Horde/Kolab/FreeBusy/AllTests.php
> /usr/share/php5/PEAR/test/Kolab_FreeBusy/Horde/Kolab/FreeBusy/FreeBusyTest.php
>
> Should one just execute:
> /usr/share/php5/PEAR/test/Kolab_FreeBusy/Horde/Kolab/FreeBusy/AllTests.php
> and that's it, or are arguments needed and are there any requirements to the
> environment.  E.g. In case of kolab_freebusy is a webserver needed?

On Kolab/OpenPKG you would run the Kolab_Server Unit tests with

  /kolab/bin/php  -f
/kolab/lib/php/test/Kolab_Server/Horde/Kolab/Server/AllTests.php

for example. This assumes that you have PHPUnit installed and that is
the only prerequisite. I added this one on the OpenPKG variant because
I wanted people to be able to run these tests on an installed machine
in case they modify the code. It makes it easier to check if your
modifications might create problems.

At the moment there are no higher order tests that would need a
complete Kolab web server or IMAP server to be setup. The current test
suites just run in memory and provide some mock drivers for LDAP and
IMAP. These mock drivers help tremendously during development.

Higher order tests for the Kolab Server are on my todo list though. I
think we need unit tests that allow to check functionality of complete
Kolab systems. That would help us during testing the OpenPKG variant.
An automatic Kolab test suite would of course also make the life
easier for the native ports as you would be able to quickly check if
you are up to par with the Kolab OpenPKG system. At least if the test
suite is big enough.

I am also considering integration of these unit tests into the next
version of the Kolab web admin. I still need to see if that works out
as planned. So far I only wrote a minimal amount of code for the new
web admin (based on Horde 4).

Cheers,

Gunnar