[Kolab-devel] Fwd: Introducing OpenPKG 4.x

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Tue Dec 22 17:45:44 CET 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009 02:42:46 am Alain Spineux wrote:
> Hi
>
> Here are some comment about what I read in previous post:
>
> What about the appliance model ?
> 1. Choose a base distribution
> 2. Build an auto-install CD that will finish the normal distribution
> installation by the kolab installation
> 3. This appliance could be installed as a virtual machine on other system
> This way, the choose distribution will be supported, and kolab could
> be installed on other system as a virtual machine.
>

> Why not to make a survey on the mailing list about which distribution
> kolab users use ?
>

> What about solaris user ?
>

> Please forget about fedora, (a new fedora every 6 month could be hard
> to support :) thing about Centos
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> wrote:
> > Hi Mathieu,
> >
> > this is going to be a long mail. Summary at the bottom :)
> >
> > Quoting Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>:

> >> Let's do it!
> >>
> >> I have setup a page on the wiki:
> >> <https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Developer_packaging_platform_compariso
> >>n>
> >
> > Thanks!!!
> >
> > I added a short summary on top and the licensing information from
> > the recent mail from OpenPKG to clarify why we consider changing
> > the distribution.
> >
> > I did actually try to call OpenPKG twice just to get some
> > personal feedback from them but they seem to be in holiday
> > already. They don't offer a way to leave them any messages. I
> > guess I could mail them but I think the letter Martin Konold
> > forwarded was already clear enough. I just would have liked to
> > discuss it in person.
> >
> > To me the move away from OpenPKG seems to be unavoidable now.
> >
> > I would like to reprint the requirements you added to the wiki
> > page:
> >
> >  Requirements
> >
> >    * MUST be FOSS
> >
> >    * MUST be available without charging clients
> >
> >    * MUST cover major Linux distributions (see on distrowatch or
> >      Wikipedia) : Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Debian, mandriva,
> >
> >    * MAY include a build service
> >
> >    * MAY include automated tests
> >
> > I think they are complete. Does anyone have something to add?
> >
> >> Currently, two solutions have been mentionned:
> >> - OpenSUSE Build service
> >> - Project Builder
> >
> > I'd like to split the "solutions" part somewhat further.
> >
> > You listed two build services as possible successors to
> > OpenPKG. The outcome of these build services would be Kolab
> > Server images/builds for several different distributions. This is
> > a worthy goal and I believe it would help with some of the
> > problems we are currently having. It should be a part of our
> > strategy.
> >
> > But I say "a part" as these build services will yield different
> > flavors of the Kolab Server. Each distribution specific build
> > could have its unique problems. If we would declare such a build
> [...]

I think whatever will be chosen, testing native distributions will be a big
plus for adoption of Kolab. Right now, it involves a lot of work to get it
working in a native Mandriva environment, even just to build on native
distributions. This environment will not guarantee that it will build on the
native environment, but I believe it will make it easy if adjustments are
needed

--
Thomas