[Kolab-devel] LDAP attribute kolabHomeServerOnly

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Apr 16 14:47:25 CEST 2009

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20090416 14:16]:
> Guess I'm somewhat slow in reviewing code these times as these are changes from February:
>
> http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-commits/2009q1/009163.html
> http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-commits/2009q1/009165.html
>
> Can you explain in more detail why this LDAP schema change was necessary and what the functionality
> is about? My gut feeling would be that a new LDAP attribute might be too much and I feel we already
> packed too many such attributes in our schema. So I felt the need to understand this change.

Regarding the functionality:

Not all IMAP clients need the dummy inbox on the other servers and
you only need it anyway if users on one Kolab server need to access
shared/published folders on a different Kolab server in a
master/slave setup.

The functionality was requested by a client who does not want to
clutter the IMAP spool directories with directories which are not
used in his setup.

Regarding the LDAP change:

It is only a schema extension, so it will not affect existing
installations. The reason for adding it to LDAP is to have identical
behavior on all servers. The reason for adding it as a user
attribute instead of a global attribute is that you still might want
to have certain users with mailboxes on all servers, because you
know they have IMAP clients needing the additional inboxes.

Like some other LDAP attributes it is not wired to the web admin
interface, so that does not even get cluttered with bells&whistles
that most people do not need.

> I probably overlooked the references where this was explained in more detail so a hint would be
> great. Thanks!

There was no public discussion about this.

Regards,
Thomas Arendsen Hein

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998