[Kolab-devel] [issue3542] confusing usage of 'uid' for DN in php-kolab packages

Thomas Arendsen Hein kolab-issues at intevation.de
Mon Apr 6 16:39:51 CEST 2009

New submission from Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:

In the patch for kolab/issue3537 (Allowing xfb access to groups does not work)
I noticed the use of an array $uid_groups to store a list of group DNs.

Gunnar said that he used 'uid' to not use LDAP specific terms, but as 'uid'
already has a different meaning for us, this is confusing.

I vote for changing this to 'dn', because
1. currently we are LDAP specific, so it is not wrong
2. even when using a different backend, the term is unique (distinguishable)
enough to not be confused with similar terms
3. the trivial alternatives are problematic, e.g. "identification" (too long),
"unique_id" (almost "uid"), "badge" (slightly off the mark), "primary_key" (SQL
term, needs additional reference to "table" to be correct, easily confused with
"primary email address"), "key" (too generic)

Or is there a better alternative?

assignedto: wrobel
messages: 19524
nosy: martin, thomas, wilde, wrobel
priority: wish
status: unread
title: confusing usage of 'uid' for DN in php-kolab packages
topic: filter, freebusy, server