[Kolab-devel] Modifying the LDAP user representation for a distributed Kolab server system?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Sep 11 09:39:57 CEST 2008

Quoting "Bernhard Reiter" <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> On Friday 15 August 2008 06:41, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Quoting Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

>> > This looks quite ugly to me. Somehow inventing more parsing within
>> > an LDAP attribute really feel wrong to me.
>> > So if we need the attributes, we can for sure come up with enough for
>> > them.
>>
>> Okay, I agree with the parsing thing.
>>
>> > I am not sure that we need it per user, though.
>>
>> p at rdus does :) If you have an array of IMAP servers behind an MTA
>> layer the MTA layer should actually know which IMAP server to deliver
>> to. And that is per user. I know this is not possible with
>> Kolab2/OpenPKG at the moment but such distributed setup are feasible
>> with Kolab.
>
> Ah, you also want to split up below one homeserver.
> Of course, if you want to do this, it needs to be saved somewhere.
> For most deployment I would normally recommend having one imap server (which
> can be a cluster) per homeserver. It does not hurt to have one MTA per IMAP
> server and might help in many situations. I guess this is why I did not get
> the idea.

Yes in general I would agree. Having a seperate MTA layer gives you
some additional options concerning failover and redundancy though. And
for me it drastically reduces maintainance efforts but that is of
course more related to not using the OpenPKG version.

I consider the fact that you can easily split the Kolab server to that
degree an very important plus for the groupware server. Hence the wish
for this feature as it is nothing too complex even if it is irrelevant
in the default setup.

>> > For the user, most should be transparent (means: not visible).
>>
>> The admin sets this stuff in the web admin frontend. It should
>> obviously not be editable by the user as this concerns the server
>> infrastructure and is no user setting.
>>
>> > This is why I am also against putting anything server specific in the
>> > login information. This could change during the lifetime of an account.
>>
>> Login information? Sorry, didn't understand this comment. Can you clarify?
>
> I believe I've refered to the upcoming point where I saw "USER:PASS at SERVER"
> and I wanted to outrule this as part of an LDAP entry.

>> > For what in particular?
>> > The splitted IMAP storage will only be known the the user's client
>> > mostly.
>>
>> So the user would set the storage spaces in Kontact and in the Kolab
>> web client again?
>
> Yes.
> Even if we find a desired way of saving client configuration on one server
> somehow.
>
>> Storing that in LDAP would remove this redundancy or not?
>
> It would, but it would also defeat the security aspect of the idea.
> If you have server A and server B, you would not want admin of server
> A to be able to log into server B to have some separation. :)
> So putting credentials in the directory service of server A
> is not that helpful.

Yes, forget my initial comments. I confused two concepts that were not
related at all.

Concerning the Kolab web client the user could store the necessary
configuration on the primary IMAP store. For the web client this might
actually be the only reasonable solution. Currently we store the
configuration of the web client in LDAP though.

We would have to think that through once we really start implementing
such a feature. I must admit that I'm rather interested though. I'd
like to be able to  add other IMAP storage spaces to my accounts
(gmail for example). It might also be possible to network to a higher
degree between the Kolab Konsortium partners if we provide IMAP
accounts to our partners for joint projects. Just some ideas.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg