[Kolab-devel] RFC next kolab server version 2.3 and 2.2.1?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Oct 30 08:59:30 CET 2008

Quoting Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>:

> Op Monday 27 October 2008 15:28:07 schreef Gunnar Wrobel:
>> > I understood that with the current situation the kolabconf package has
>> > been integrated in the perl-kolab package.  This means that on package
>> > level a whole package is gone, and special rules have to be added the
>> > perl-kolab package to obsoletes the kolabconf package.  That is only one
>> > example, besides the many others I have given before.
>>
>> If you had a clean perl rpm spec for perl-kolab all you need to do
>> is  to remove the kolabconf package.
>
> Kolabconf comes in its own package.  As kolabconf is now intergrated into
> perl-kolab, the package kolabconf is not needed anymore.  If we do not take
> appropriate action, rpm will complain that new perl-kolab rpm is about to
> install files over the files of the old kolabconf rpm.  Which is correct.  So
> either the sysadmin removes kolabconf manually, but as we're talking about a
> bugfix release (2.2.0 -> 2.2.1) according to many, the sysadmin does not
> expect that it is needed to remove the kolabconf rpm.
> Or more advanced, and the one that we'll use (of course ;) ) is to tell the
> system that perl-kolab obsoletes kolabconf.  Now the kolabconf rpm will
> automatically be removed from system.  But as stated before, I don't expect
> that such package tricks are needed for a bug fix release.
>
>> I am using the language specific packaging methods where ever I
>> can.  This means packaging for you platform should actually get
>> easier not  more complex.
>
> Don't worry, as I appreciate all the effort that you put in kolab.  I worry
> that we're are talking about bug fix release while much more work is done.
> It would be good to tell the outside world that much has be done to kolab to
> make it much better....

Packaging should not interfere with the functionality the packages are
providing. In my eyes we really don't change anything here. We just do
some cleanup but the functionality should be the same.

I do understand that such packaging changes are a burden to the
packagers. But I believe it is essential that the Kolab Server moves
to a clean packaging scheme that works across all distributions
including OpenPKG.

We had a short internal discussion on the topic this week and it looks
like we will stick to Kolab-Server-2.2.1 for the OpenPKG version. For
OpenPKG we see the transition between 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 as a smooth one
with a simple upgrade path.

Cheers,

Gunnar