[Kolab-devel] RFC next kolab server version 2.3 and 2.2.1?

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Mon Oct 27 22:51:10 CET 2008

Op Monday 27 October 2008 15:28:07 schreef Gunnar Wrobel:
> > I understood that with the current situation the kolabconf package has
> > been integrated in the perl-kolab package.  This means that on package
> > level a whole package is gone, and special rules have to be added the
> > perl-kolab package to obsoletes the kolabconf package.  That is only one
> > example, besides the many others I have given before.
>
> If you had a clean perl rpm spec for perl-kolab all you need to do is
> to remove the kolabconf package.

Kolabconf comes in its own package.  As kolabconf is now intergrated into
perl-kolab, the package kolabconf is not needed anymore.  If we do not take
appropriate action, rpm will complain that new perl-kolab rpm is about to
install files over the files of the old kolabconf rpm.  Which is correct.  So
either the sysadmin removes kolabconf manually, but as we're talking about a
bugfix release (2.2.0 -> 2.2.1) according to many, the sysadmin does not
expect that it is needed to remove the kolabconf rpm.
Or more advanced, and the one that we'll use (of course ;) ) is to tell the
system that perl-kolab obsoletes kolabconf.  Now the kolabconf rpm will
automatically be removed from system.  But as stated before, I don't expect
that such package tricks are needed for a bug fix release.

> I am using the language specific packaging methods where ever I can.
> This means packaging for you platform should actually get easier not
> more complex.

Don't worry, as I appreciate all the effort that you put in kolab.  I worry
that we're are talking about bug fix release while much more work is done.
It would be good to tell the outside world that much has be done to kolab to
make it much better....

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,