[Kolab-devel] RFC next kolab server version 2.3 and 2.2.1?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Oct 16 22:16:58 CEST 2008

Hi Richard,

Quoting Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to discuss the version of the soon(?) to be released kolab
> server.  At the moment one find on the roadmap page the following
> information:
>
> "Release 2.2.1 is envisioned for Q4 2008 or earlier. It will have at
> least one
> release candidate before that. Planned improvements include adding the SyncML
> improvements to Horde."
>
> AFAIK 2.2.1 is the only known version that is being worked on, but with the
> many changes that have been made to kolab I believe that a version like 2.2.1
> is misleading.  A minor version upgrades means in most cases (for the other
> OSS projects) that the upgrade contains only bug fixes.  But looking at
> kolab's current ChangeLog, much more has changed and some changes have a big
> impact.  With this mind I would like to mentioned the removal of the packages
> kolab-filter and kolab-freebusy from kolab cvs.  This means that packages
> will get totally different names (something horde-freebusy and filter, it
> will be I think).  Newpackage files have to be made by packagers for the next
> kolab version.  Further more files have been moved from kolabd to perl-kolab.
> Big changes have been made to horde.  Horde will be delivered as I believe 1
> big application instead of many seperate applications.  These are only a few
> of the many more changes that were made, and that were not bugs.
>
> Because of the reasons above I believe that it is justified to call the next
> kolab server release 2.3 and not 2.2.1.  What's your opinion about this?

There are indeed many packaging changes. And I understand that this
affects all people porting Kolab to other distros as some packages
need to be cleaned up.

But lets be honest: In terms of functionality there are not that many
changes. Most of this is really just cleanup. The biggest part of
converting the old code structures into something that is maintainable
- at least in my eyes :) - is just structure and not content.

So even if I'm playing around wildly in both Kolab and Horde CVS there
will be no big "wow" with Kolab-Server-2.2.1 and I think it makes
sense calling it 2.2.1 :)

Cheers,

Gunnar