[Kolab-devel] [issue3120] DOS format mbox file crashes Kontact

T. Ribbrock kolab-issues at intevation.de
Thu Oct 2 15:14:43 CEST 2008

New submission from T. Ribbrock <itsef-admin at brightsight.com>:

I ran into the following problem: Sometimes, we have to fetch mail from backup
and send them to someone. Our backups are taken from the Cyrus spool on our
Kolab server and are therefore in the same format as Cyrus stores its mail. As
the single mails stored in this format are not in straight-forward MBOX format,
I usually pipe them through formail to make them MBOX. The resulting file is
accepted by mutt as MBOX and I can also open it in KMail with "File->Open"
without problems.

However, if I attach such a file to another mail (Composer -> Attach File Button
-> select this file) I can cause a reproducible crash by double-clicking on the
attachment in Composer. I spent some time investigating this and as far as I can
see this problem is caused by the extra line-feeds that Cyrus adds to the mails
("vim" says they're in "DOS" format). If I remove them before attaching the
mail, the crash does not happen.

I'll attach the backtrace and a testmail.mbox file which reproduces this crash
100% in my set-up.

Versions:
kontact --version
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.9
Kontact: 1.2.9 (enterprise35 20080919.862683)
(Kubuntu 8.04)

I have seen the same problem in 858460 already.

files: Crash_on_clicking_mbox_attachment_in_composer-862683.txt
messages: 16946
nosy: itsef_admin
priority: urgent
status: unread
title: DOS format mbox file crashes Kontact
topic: enterprise35, kde client
<https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue3120>