[Kolab-devel] why does the pkg Auth require Kolab_Server?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat Nov 29 23:25:21 CET 2008

Quoting Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> Op Monday 24 November 2008 21:39:21 schreef Richard Bos:
>> Op Monday 24 November 2008 21:35:39 schreef Richard Bos:
>> > why does Kolab_Server require Auth and Auth Kolab_Server?  The latter
>> > does not seem correct to me.
>>
>> a bit related to this, why is there a package called Auth and
>> Horde_Auth.  Should Auth not just be called Horde_Auth?
>
> I checked the packages that are shown, when one uses these pages:
> http://pear.horde.org/index.php?category=framework
> http://pear.horde.org/index.php?category=framework&page=[1-5]
> and captured all the listed packages, and looked for Group, Auth and Util.
> Non of those (last 3) are listed there as a pear.horde package....?

Might be a problem of the PEAR server implementation that is running
pear.horde.org.

In any case the newer package names will *not* have the "Horde_" prefix.

> So,
> should the package Util indeed be read as Horde_Util and likewise the other 2
> as Horde_Auth and Horde_Group?

No, the Horde_* packages are going to be deprecated. Some have already
been replaced with the shortened counterpart but not all of them.

> Sorry I have more questions, related to this.  I'm building horde package 16
> now and it looks I'm half way the dependency list.... How come that the
> package kolab_freebusy and filter that were moved from kolab cvs to horde.org
> result in so many horde packages?  It is almost insane.  Although you stated
> that this is better maintainable, it does not look that way.

To me this touches the basics of any package management. Why do we
have packages or a package management system at all? Why is there not
only one big blob named "OpenSuse 10.2"? This is the same question.

Once I accept package management makes sense then it is obvious to me
that I split packages of different functionality.

All those package you now see have traditionally been contained within
horde-framework. This has always been a horrible approach which is
also known within Horde and will be changed with Horde 4. PHP in
general is one of the languages with the worst package management
strategies I have ever seen.

If your approach is to reduce packages as much as possible then all
you want to do is to build appliances. But if you think in terms of a
distribution you need to split into logical modules.

> Anyway, how
> come that so many horde packages are needed to replace kolab_freebusy and
> filter from kolab cvs (just curious nothing more), are those packages also
> used for the applications, like ingo, turba, imp, etc?

They were always there but they were always incorrectly packaged.

> Last question for this email: the package Auth (or is it Horde_Auth?) has
> among its dependencies 2 PHP extensions; pam_auth and sasl:
> http://pear.horde.org/index.php?package=Auth&downloads  As those extensions
> were not needed for the kolab_flter and freebusy packages from kolab cvs, I
> wonder if they are needed for Kolab_Filter and Kolab_Freebusy from
> pear.horde.  I ask because the extensions do not seem to be available via
> openSUSE rpms...  If they are not needed, I rather don't spend my time on
> getting those php extensions build.

They are probably optional extensions. Check the package.xml in the package.

Cheers,

Gunnar