[Kolab-devel] pear rpmbuild advice

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat Nov 29 23:00:46 CET 2008

Quoting Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> Why is phpunit required as dependency for Kolab_Server?
>  http://pear.horde.org/index.php?package=Kolab_Server&release=0.2.0&downloads

This is an optional dependency. It is not marked as "optional" on
pear.horde.org because the PEAR software running the package provider
on pear.php.net and pear.horde.org still has some limitations.

> Is this a runtime dependency or a buildtime dependency.  In case it is a
> runtime dependency, why is a testing framework needed as runtime dependency
> for the kolab-server module (just curious, wanting to learn something).

Neither runtime nor buildtime but "testtime" :)

It is absolutely not required in your system. I did nevertheless
include it also in the Kolab/OpenPKG server version because I like
having the phpUnit tests also on a productive system.

Often people tend to start patching the installed code. Then it may be
useful to be able to run/extend unit tests on your system. It is not
necessarily the best way of coding stuff but I want to enable people
to contribute as much as possible.

Cheers,

Gunnar