[Kolab-devel] [issue3276] cannot encrypt to marginally trusted OpenPGP key

Bernhard Reiter kolab-issues at intevation.de
Fri Nov 28 16:36:18 CET 2008

New submission from Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

I have a marginally trusted key here that I cannot encrypt to.
Further conditions are:
* The key does not contain the email address I am sending to
  (can be simulated by adding a "+xyz" with several email servers.)
* My addressbook has the sending email address and the OpenPGP key
  in the crypto settings

a)Create an email to the recipient.
  Try "sending later" is enough to reproduce the problem.
b) Observation:
   As the email is not in the key, I get asked for the key.
   The key is shown in green,
Expectation: The key should not be green as it is only
marginally trusted. In Proko2 those keys were yellow.
(Might be related to kolab/issue3143 (s/mime invalid keys are accepted by KMail
and shown green in kleo (certmanager/lib/ui/keyselectiondialog.cpp))

c) I select the key and then get the error message
that something is conflicting with the encryption settings
for this senders.
(Might be related to
   kolab/issue3066 (Unnecessary encryption key check when sending signed.))
I get asked if I wanted to encrypt again.
(Obviosly I do not want to get this question, as the key was green.)

d) I say "encrypt", get the key dialog and select the key again.
and then I get asked for the key again.
Observation: Right after the okay, I get another key dialog, this time
with the longer text saying that not valid and trusted key for this
recipient could be found (and that I could use external search).

BTW, When selecting the external search, Kleo is started and I
get an error message that the backend gave no results.
(Which is wrong, an empty search result is not an error. I feel
we already have an issue for this.)

e) After the third key selection, the email is not send. Nothing more
happens. :(
Expectation: If the operation could not be done, give me an error
message or something.

kontact Version: 4:3.5.10.enterprise.0.20081118.886071-kk1
gnupg2 Version: 2.0.9.svn4835-0kk3

assignedto: till
messages: 17841
nosy: bernhard, ludwig, marc, till
priority: urgent
status: unread
title: cannot encrypt to marginally trusted OpenPGP key
topic: kde client, prokde35