[Kolab-devel] Extending Kolab

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon May 19 12:00:06 CEST 2008

hi gunnar,

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Gabriel <m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> writes:
>
>> hi gunnar,
>>
>> you probably also know cfengine (which sounds like an alternative to
>> puppet). i do not know puppet, but i know cfengine really well and it
>> is a powerful tool indeed (www.cfengine.org).
>>
>> cfengines strenghts are
>>
>>    (a) the ability to scale well in huge heterogenous networks
>>    (b) the ability to detect host/network irregularities (cfenvd)
>>
>> maybe there is someone on this ether-frequency who knows both tools
>> and can compare their strengths und weaknesses...
>
> I admit I don't know cfengine but I read bits and pieces of puppet
> vs. cfengine on the web:
>
>  - http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/CfengineVsPuppet (this
>    one is from the puppet wiki though so it has to be pro-puppet)
>
>  - http://lists.apple.com/archives/macos-x-server/2007/Jul/msg00249.html
>
>  -
> http://watzmann.net/blog/index.php/2006/12/19/puppet_is_not_cfengine_rewritten_in_ruby
>
> There are other reasons that lead me to believe that puppet is the
> superior choice.

these articles indeed hint to the weaknesses of cfengine and actually
make me really curious to setup some puppet test scenarios...

good choice from what i read,
mike

--

das netzwerkteam
mike gabriel, hamburger chaussee 240, 24113 kiel

fon: +49 431 64 74 196
voip/voicemail: +49 431 643 643 6
fax: +49 431 64 74 276
mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de