[Kolab-devel] [issue2689] Starting/Installing Kontact on initiates irritating DNS connections

Bernhard Reiter kolab-issues at intevation.de
Mon May 5 17:25:04 CEST 2008

New submission from Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

Tested Kontact-Installer_20080412.exe on Vista
and it did a couple of DNS connections for that we should know the reasons.
(They seem to be unnecessary.)

Details

At Install time:
kbuildsycoca4.exe  DNS
(probably our script running kbuildsycoca once).

starting kontact:

kolabwizard.exe DNS
klauncher.exe DNS
kdeinit4.exe DNS
kded4.exe DNS
knotify.exeDNS
kbuildsycoca4.exe DNS
kontact.exe DNS

korgac.exe DNS

David Faure found out:
On Sunday 04 May 2008 13:39, David Faure wrote:
> I can't see why kbuildsycoca4 would need to make a DNS connection - it's
> probably the same problem as all your other processes.
>
> All I see (on unix) is that all programs call gethostname()
> (due to the call in KStandardDirs::createSpecialResource).
>
> But no other of the functions below is called:
> gethostbyaddr
> gethostbyaddr_r
> gethostbyname
> gethostbyname2
> gethostbyname2_r
> gethostbyname_r
> gethostent
> gethostent_r
> gethostid
>
> So either:
> 1) gethostname makes a DNS query on Windows
> 2) some windows-only code (e.g. from kdewin32?) makes DNS queries (so a
> test like mine should be done on Windows, my testing on unix could have
> missed it) 3) I missed some functions that make DNS queries when I set
> breakpoints on the above list of methods.

So it is probably windows. Till guesses dbus.

assignedto: till
messages: 14700
nosy: bernhard, jstaniek, ludwig, till, vkrause
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Starting/Installing Kontact on initiates irritating DNS connections
topic: kde client, kowi