[Kolab-devel] Extending Kolab

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat May 3 17:44:03 CEST 2008

On Friday 02 May 2008 14:51, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> >>  > We could think about defining a "playground" OID subtree, if there is
> >> none > in the OID scheme already. (Does something know out of the top of
> >> their head?) > Before this I would want to document the use of Kolab's
> >> privat OIDs. > I have already the start
> >>  > http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Directory_Service_Schema
> >>
> >>  Is there any specific reason for having new OIDs for such
> >>  configuration variables? This seems extremely cumbersome as it always
> >>  requires a schema change for any application we might wish to
> >>  configure over the LDAP tree.

"extremely cumbersome" is not the right attribute ... as Alain correctly
points out

> > Extend the LDAP schema is very easy, just add your new attributes in
> > the schema file and restart ldap.

> I was thinking of adding new attributes in the Kolab schema that gets
> delivered with the default distribution. Meaning changes within Kolab
> CVS and this takes more effort. For local hacks this is of course
> easy.

Adding and changing attributes too lightly is a call for trouble, especially
in upgrade situations. So a little resistance is good. And a little it is.
If the bar is to high at the moment, we could lower it by a set of
instructions and we might consider a playground subtree of the Kolab OIDs.

The whole idea of LDAP is to be able to control the variables and their
contents. So if you have a changed or new OID, yes you should do a new number
and put up a real definition of the type and semantics. The rules out implicit
definitions, but again I believe this is a good thing when being consistantly
in LDAP. Overal I think LDAP and is overdesigned, but the abuse would add to
the complexity from my point of view, making it worse.

Bernhard