[Kolab-devel] Palm sync/KPilot oddities...

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 30 14:17:20 CEST 2008

Thomas,

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 08:17, ITSEF Admin wrote:
> I know that syncing Kontact with a Palm (or any other PDA, for that matter)
> isn't top priority at the moment, but I made a few observations in the
> enterprise35 client which I'd like to share:

thanks for sharing, experiences like this are always interesting.

> - The first thing I noticed is that enterprise35 does not switch to offline
> mode when syncing (proko2 does, AFAIR). There is a *LOT* of "Calendar:
> Uploading to server" activity going on during the sync. It almost looks as
> if Kontact is interacting with the server for each and every event, making
> the whole process quite slow

Creating an issue for this is certainly a good idea.

> - Syncing as such worked a lot better in proko2. With enterprise35, I
> frequently get conflicts between PC and PDA, conflicts between PC and
> server and double events. It looks like Kontact is not able to keep track
> of the event IDs properly when faced with the Palm connection. Also, I see
> a *lot* of "dummy messages" showing up in Calendar - on an agenda of abut
> 500 events I can get as many as 2000-4000 dummy messages after a sync. So
> far, I cannot reliably reproduce these effects - but they definitely happen
> more often that with proko2.

From your description I take it that you can reproduce, though no reliably.
Then trying to create good separated issues would be cool.
You might even try to reproduce some of them without a dimap account (and a
Kolab Server) which would raises the chances for upstream KDE to care about
it. Note that KDE goes to the Opensync direction,
maybe that is also something to look into.

Best,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)