[Kolab-devel] Kontact/KMail randomly emptying folders?!

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Mon Jun 23 13:59:03 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm not quite certain yet how to make a bug report out of this one, so I
decided to have a go at the lists first...

Over the past half year, we've had several incidences where users lost all
mail in several folders of their accounts. We have a history of unreliable
Calendar/Tasks folders here, but this is the first time I have seen this
with "ordinary" mail folders. I was able to track down three cases so far. In
all cases, the kolab server (imapd) reports that the mails have been deleted,
i.e. it looks like the server has received some command to do so. All three
users had their kontact running at the time and were out of the company at
the time when the mails were deleted (example: one case happened on a
Saturday night around 0:15h).

All users with problems are running kontact proko2.1.x (currently 2.1.11) on
SuSE 10.0. I have yet to see a comparable report from our five "pilot users",
who are running enterprise35 on Kubuntu 8.04. As far as I can see, all users
that ran into this had "pure" DIMAP accounts.

I'm not sure how to handle this - clearly, something is wrong here, but it's
vague. We already have quite extensive snapshots of our mail (four per day,
plus thirty days, plus several weeks and months), which is how I was able to
see what happens in the first place (those snapshots include the imapd logs,
fortunately). Hence, as usual, any advice is most appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas