[Kolab-devel] kolab web interface development

Eleni Postantzi lenapostantzi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 18:10:36 CEST 2008

Hi Gunnar,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> wrote:
> Hi Eleni,
>
> "Eleni Postantzi" <lenapostantzi at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hallo Gunnar, Hallo Bernhard,
>>
>> 'Moving Art Studio - All2all' , where I work, are planning our first
>> migration from Exchange to Kolab (+/- 200 users). I've been positively
>> surprised during the tests and also from the support one can get on
>> the userslist, and I believe that Kolab will have a great future.
>>
>> However, during the tests we've realized that the web administration
>> interface of Kolab is not flexible at all.
>>
>> We'd like to rewrite the interface and thus with that way, contribute
>> to the project. Of course,it will be published under the GPL licence.
>>
>> Would it be possible to provide us more infos about Kolab's
>> architecture, the web interface and its roadmap? I think i saw
>> somewhere on the userslist that the interface is going to be
>> integrated in horde from kolab 2.3.
>
> I might have uttered something like this though I'm not certain I
> actually did. The issue of merging kolab-webadmin with Horde has
> definitely been raised before.
>
> But a complete switch would be a little bit drastic.
>
> I'm personally rather unhappy with the webadmin code as it replicates
> code sections for every little subsection of the webadmin. In addition
> there is significant overlap with the LDAP functionality in the
> Horde::Kolab module.
>
> So my envisioned path of restructuring is to prepare a slightly
> restructured kolab-webadmin first. This should have some libraries in
> php-kolab.
>
> I already started on this last year but was unable to finish. So this
> is not really fast paced.
>
> In a second step I would then start to slowly merge stuff into Horde.
>
> But I really don't expect this to happen soon.
>
> If you really want to restructure a lot, then we could check if my
> initial restructuring would be a sound basis for that.
>
> If you are mainly interested in changing the face of the GUI then I
> think you should use the current code for adding it.

I completely agree with you. The best way is to proceed in 2 steps, as
you just mentioned.

Our priority for the moment is to add some functionalities which will
facilitate the admins' task, like:

1. Retrieve users from LDAP, when f.ex. adding them to a distribution
list or as delegates, or when giving permissions on a shared folder
2. Retrieve OU's from LDAP, when adding a user in.
3. Create subfolders of shared folders (without using cyradm command
line) or give permissions to some users to do it.
4. Set default quota to X MB instead of unlimited.
5. When deleting a user, have an option to delete his mailbox or not.

I'm also wondering if it is possible to set up a default Kolab/Horde
user  to be used as a template.

Best regards,

--
Eleni