[Kolab-devel] Kolab on Gmail

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Jul 29 08:00:57 CEST 2008

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Wednesday 16 July 2008 16:40, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> The Kolab concept is based on this annotation support but so far the
>> feature is only being provided by the Cyrus IMAP server. In addition
>> the Kolab Server uses some patches in that area which means that you
>> always need a full Kolab Server as a basis for Kolab specific
>> development.
>
> Note that we are currently looking into what it takes to beef
> up Dovecot to play nicely as IMAP server within a Kolab Server.
> This was triggered because a customer is taking interest in it
> and because Dovecot can deal wit NAS situations better than Cyrus imapd.
>
> Also helping us to push the extensions for Cryus IMAPD upstream
> is highly appreciated.
> See https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/merge4
> and other merge issues with Cyrus:
> https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/merge?%3Aaction=search&%3Asearch_text=Cyrus&%3Acolumns=title&%3Acolumns=id&%3Acolumns=activity&%3Acolumns=status&

For general acceptance of the annotation extension the following draft
also needs to be accepted by IETF:

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/all-ids/draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-14.txt

This is progressing but it seems to take years. Last time I asked for
annotation support in c-client Mark Crispin said that he would only
consider that if the draft has become a RFC. Even then he didn't sound
too positive about it as he seemed unhappy with the draft. Now that he
has been laid off I don't know if our chances of getting wider
annotation support are higher or lower. c-client seems kind of
unmaintained at the moment.

Cheers,

Gunnar