[Kolab-devel] Distribute Squirrelmail with kolab

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 15 18:11:39 CET 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008 19:13, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> I'm not opposed to that. While the install-kolab.sh script is still
> problematic we start having optional Kolab server features (currently
> "-F" for fbview and "-H" for Horde). Adding another "-S" for
> squirrelmail should not be too hard.
>
> The only problematic point I can see is that each feature on the Kolab
> server is currently fully supported by the Kolab development
> team. This will probably not be possible with such experimental
> extensions. I don't know what the policy on that will be.
>

> But I'd definitely like to see installing such extensions getting
> easier than they are at the moment. Maybe Bernhard can comment on
> that.

I agree on the points made.
We should find a way to distribute experimental extensions.
Horde is now part of the main distribution,
I think we should open an "extras" distribution which has Squirrelmail and
potentially other packages.

In many studies I see the Kolab solution to be downgraded, because it does not
directly come with a mailinglist manager, a chat and a wiki server. The
design idea was to be modular which is good, but some reviewers do not seem
to fully understand this. Seriously: We need to unlock this potential to
users that do not already know how to do this.

Bernhard