[Kolab-devel] Administration of the Horde configuration

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Jan 15 16:08:44 CET 2008

Am Montag, 7. Januar 2008 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:

Hi Gunnar,

> Currently the way the Horde configuration is handled on the Kolab
> server is still somewhat problematic

> Parts of the configuration (the kolab.php files in horde/config and
> horde/kronolith/config) use the Horde template mechanism and will
> always overwrite the settings done with the Horde administration
> frontend. This currently still lacks explanation.

This is unfortunate and will confuse many users.

> In addition you currently get the administration frontend if you log
> in as "manager" into Horde. This type of login is possible but partly
> broken because the manager account is a special IMAP account.

I think we should disable this functionality and document how to set the
configuration option the Kolab way or how to do it manually.

> I think the best way to deal with horde configuration is to fully
> disallow login as a non-standard IMAP user and thus fully disable
> Horde configuration by default.

Well, people tend to read the Horde documentation and then they will be
confused.

> This could then be activated by adding a specific user within
> horde/config/conf.php as Horde administrator. This user could then
> modify the Horde configuration but should be aware that a very small
> set of values cannot be set. We could either add an explanation on the
> wiki or add it to README.1st.
>
> Comments, other ideas?

Maybe we use an administrative Kolab User without IMAP access for that
purpose. Initially this could be the special Kolab user manager.

Regards,
-- martin konold

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126