[Kolab-devel] How to bundle our MTA knowledge

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jan 7 09:08:04 CET 2008

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Friday 14 December 2007 11:48, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> As mentioned above I believe the Kolab server should always
>> have an open policy. But maybe we are capable of making it easier to
>> modify and control the postfix settings so that the admins don't have
>> to experiment that much. There is a lot of knowlegde available from
>> the different Kolab server admins as is obvious from this discussion
>> and we should certainly try to make that available to others that
>> don't have a lot of experience with MTAs.
>
> I agree with this notion.
> To me the question is: How to we organise the process of getting our
> experience together.
>
> One difficulty is that that professionals tend to have intensive work periods
> and then look like vanished for a longer while. This makes is necessary to try
> to document well the current state of our discussions and how it was reached.
>
> A possibilit is to open an issue for seperate points and discuss things over
> the nosy list of our roundup-tracker. This works out if the problem that
> should be solved is rather well understood and the discussion is not getting
> too general nor too long.
>
> We could also use Wiki pages which would make it easier to consolidate results
> and keep references. It is a bit more effort though.
>
> For everything there is always the fallback of the mailinglists.

I'm in favor of a wiki/mailing list solution. The bug tracker is not
that easily readable and the wiki should make it easier to structure
the information so that sys admins can easily use the
information. It's not the best discussion place though so maybe we can
discuss details here.

I'll try to start some wiki pages on that soon.

Cheers,

Gunnar