[Kolab-devel] I'm frustrated because my patches where not included in RC1

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Feb 15 10:17:02 CET 2008

Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:12:34AM +0100, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> > I will give you a sample of the consequence of your "hesitation".
>> > One year ago (January 2007) jhf posted all the patches required
>> > to include support for grey and black listing management in Kolab.
>> > Some chatting followed until August 2007, I invested myself in
>> > this discussion! But nothing until then! Why this crucial issue was
>> > not, a least, updated until then ?
>> > Some time ago someone filled some issue about the same
>> > subject, I even didn't read them because I was sure they will not
>> > have more consequence than the first one!
>>
>> Of course I agree that it would be nice if we could pick up these
>> issues and get them into the server. But as I already mentioned
>> concerning your squirrelmail extension: Any additional core
>> functionality in the server needs to be actively supported by the
>> developers and the Kolab consortium.
>>
>> The server as it exists right now already has quite a number of
>> features that are hard to maintain and keep in good shape. There is a
>> reason why there are so many open bugs in the tracker after all :)
>>
>> As I already mentioned when we discussed squirrelmail: We'd need a
>> decent extension framework for the Kolab server that would allow to
>> packages external extensions more easily.
>>
>> Probably the current install-kolab.sh script would be a good target
>> for that (though, as you are well aware, this script still has some
>> peculiar problems). So maybe another script "extend-kolab.sh" would be
>> needed.
>
> Related to this, it would be nice if kolabconf would support a template
> directory per application.  Just like it is done for other applications,
> that support the conf.d directory.
> I must configure a http proxy for freshclam -> hence I need to modify
> the freshclam configuration file.  As such I might not get automatically
> the new freshclam template when this is released by kolab.
> If there would be a /etc/kolab/template/freshclam.d directory that contains
> additional configuration file parts that are concatenated by kolabconf to
> the main config file, it is still possible stay in sync with the kolab
> developments, while specifying custom settings.
>
> Just idea.

Concatenating might not really be possible for many of the
configuration files. I think it would be better if we could get the
same kind of three-way-merging functionality that is common for
configurations on Gentoo.

Btw. there will be a new application replacing "kolabconf" on
Kolab2/Gentoo soon. "kolabconf" has turned out to been a major block
for getting Kolab converted in a sensible fashion to a source based
distribution such as Gentoo. I think the tool will be a valuable
replacement for kolabconf on other distributions too.

And maybe we can return to this point once I finished it and start
adding useful additional features.

Cheers,

Gunnar