[Kolab-devel] [issue3000] openldap conversion from slapd.conf to a real time configuration (rtc) in the future

Richard Bos kolab-issues at intevation.de
Thu Aug 21 23:01:54 CEST 2008

New submission from Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>:

Let me copy and paste the first part of this webpage:

Historically OpenLDAP has been statically configured, that is, to make a change
to the configuration the slapd.conf file was modified and slapd stopped and
started. In the case of larger users this could take a considerable period of
time and had become increasingly unacceptable as an operational method.
OpenLDAP version 2.3 introduced an optional new feature whereby configuration
may be performed at run-time using a DIT entry called cn=config. The feature is
known by a varied and confusing number of terms including run-time
configuration (RTC) (our favorite), zero down-time configuration, cn=config and
slapd.d configuration. First a number of points:

 1. The feature is (at version 2.4) still optional which means that slapd.conf
    will continue to work.

 2. OpenLDAP has a history of being quite brutal about withdrawing support of
    older capabilities. This means that migration to run-time configuration
    should be contemplated as soon as practical. Better to do it when you don't
    need the new release than to be forced to take a new release because of a
    critical bug AND have to migrate to the new configration regime.

A bit further on, on that webpage it is explained what is needed to in
the slapd.conf to convert the data and how slapd decides that it should
use Real Time Configuration (rtc).  I think that RTC is useful for big
kolab installations...

messages: 16307
nosy: rbos
priority: bug
status: unread
title: openldap conversion from slapd.conf to a real time configuration (rtc) in the future