[Kolab-devel] Modifying the LDAP user representation for a distributed Kolab server system?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Aug 14 09:49:58 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 14:05, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Inventing a new Kolab user LDAP attribute for each and every service
> of the Kolab server to support such splitting seems like an overhead
> and people did not like the suggestion too much.
>
> So let me suggest an alternative by using the existing
> "kolabHomeserver" attribute. Would it be okay to extend its syntax to
> allow for several settings like:
>
>   "example.org"
>   "MTA:smtp.example.org"
>   "IMAP:imap.example.org"
>   "FreeBusy:fb.example.org"
>
> The default would be the entry without "prefix:" but it would be
> possible to provide redirects for specific services.

This looks quite ugly to me. Somehow inventing more parsing within
an LDAP attribute really feel wrong to me.
So if we need the attributes, we can for sure come up with enough for them.

I am not sure that we need it per user, though.
For the user, most should be transparent (means: not visible).
This is why I am also against putting anything server specific in the login
information. This could change during the lifetime of an account.

> If I consider the point Bernhard mentioned recently concerning
> splitted IMAP storage per user it might also make sense to have a
> syntax like
>  "imap://USER:PASS@SERVER"

For what in particular?
The splitted IMAP storage will only be known the the user's client mostly.