[Kolab-devel] distributionlists testing

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Apr 21 14:21:16 CEST 2008

hi gunnar, hi others,

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:

> Hi Mike,
> Mike Gabriel <m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> writes:
>> hi gunnar,
>> i would like to test your distlist code, but i am not sure how to set
>> the jigsaw together.
>> your external-horde script + patches (which?)???
> let me commit the stuff to Horde CVS that will be easier. Give me a
> few minutes ;)

apart from some problems with the current horde/imp CVS and the minor
bug reported the distlist patch seems to work really fine. i would
like to discuss a feature list around private distribution lists and
see what is desired, what can be applicable, etc.

   o do we want to allow cross address book references in privdistlists? (userA
     in abookA and userB in abookB can both be added to distlistB in abookB or
     distlistA in abookA
   o move distlistA from abookA to abookB (including users from both abooks?)
   o how about if userA is in distlistA and userA is deleted???
   o kolab format proposal for cascaded distlists and uniquely identifiable

           <!-- Distribution-list specific fields -->
             <uid>{string, optional}</uid>
             <uid>(string, not optional)</uid>

with the kolab format change, we could discuss further issues like:

   o add people to privdistlists, that do not have an email address (yet)
   o remove contacts from an address book, but keep the contact in the
     distribution list (i know, this will be difficult with horde/turba's
     internal abook structure, but other clients like outlook support this)
   o the uid in the member tag and the distribution-list tag would make cross
     abook references much easier to handle as well, same with people having
     multiple emailaddresses

TYK: my basic intent is the following: where i am employed, people
work with another groupware using outlook clients. i would actually
like to avoid the next product upgrade of our groupware, but it is
actually really due. i would be much happier to setup kolab at work,
but the great hurdle is the - until now - rather weak private
distribution list support in kolab clients.

for setting up kolab we will need a webmailer, that supports
privdistlist feature and the privdistlist handling of the webmailer
should be fully compatible to what people can do with outlook/toltec.
outlook supports two different kinds of entries in private dist lists:
object references vs. name+mailaddress entry.

in terms of privdistlists i favourize kolab to catch up with what
(unfortunately) the majority of groupware (outlook) users is used to...

curious on your feedback,

das netzwerkteam
mike gabriel, hamburger chaussee 240, 24113 kiel

fon: +49 431 64 74 196
voip/voicemail: +49 431 643 643 6
fax: +49 431 64 74 276
mail: m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de