[Kolab-devel] RFC: "gender" field in contacts

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Tue Apr 1 14:15:37 CEST 2008

Bernhard,

On Tuesday, 1. April 2008 11:48:04 Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> I think it would be better to use either single letters (m, f) or to spell
> it out (male, female).  Both are preferable because their meaning is
> reasonably obvious.  With integers you always have to consult the
> documentation to figure out what they mean.  To indicate an unspecified
> gender, leave out the gender element altogether or leave it empty.

That's a good point. "male" and "female" is best as it's consistent
with the rest of the Kolab format using complete names
like the recurrence pattern types do.

Are the Toltec folks ok with that, too?

If yes, it would be nice if someone could add a comment
to the Kolab format documentation.

I'll create a patch for Horde and push it upstream. After that I'll implement
this in our Outlook connector, it currently doesn't work anyway...
though the "gender" field is really hidden in Outlook: You have to go to
the "all fields" tab and then select the "personal fields" entry in the
dropdown. Then you can -enter- the gender :o)

Cheers,
Thomas