[Kolab-devel] IMAP annotation for groupware folder descriptions

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Sep 19 12:05:16 CEST 2007

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20070919 09:53]:
> Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de> writes:
> > * Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20070918 23:33]:
> >> If you use MySQL as the Horde backend it is trivial to support the
> >> description feature and there will be users using it. So I doubt that
> >> it will be removed. It has already existed a long time and has
> >> actually always been "supported" by the Kolab driver within Horde
> >> (even the old broken ones). The use of
> >> "/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc" originates from the older driver
> >> versions.
> >
> > That's why I'd prefer /vendor/horde/something ... even if other
> > clients will implement it, they will be compatible with this horde
> > feature here.
>
> Ah, forgot to comment on that. While the wording in the Kolab format
> specification at
> http://kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc5-html/c154.html#AEN157 is
> rather vague about this topic I assume that the intention of the
> paragraph on client specific annotations means that Horde should use
> "/vendor/kolab/h-*" for its specific features.

Citing the page:

  All folders MUST be annotated with an entry
  /vendor/kolab/folder-type containing the attribute value.shared
  set to: <type>[.<subtype>]

  For other client-specific non standardized types of folders, these
  MUST be prefixed with "k-" for KMail, "h-" for Horde, "o-" for
  Outlook with the Toltec Connector and "ok-" for Outlook with the
  KONSEC Konnektor. E.g. "kolab.o-voicemail".

So this h- thing is only meant for the value of the
/vendor/kolab/folder-type annotation and can be ignored for our
question.

> So I'm cross-posting this to kolab-format.

I hope everyone over there is reading here, too :)

> I do believe that we might nevertheless keep the client entries in
> "/vendor/kolab/*" since we control what annotation values can actually
> be stored on the server. I'd also be fine with using "/vendor/horde"
> but then the other client specific attributes would need to be
> renamed. I don't know if there actually are any other client specific
> annotations being used?

No, this is just the folder-type value and doesn't need to be
renamed.

> This would be important because the newer IMAP server does not allow
> to store abitrary annotations anymore (for security reasons). So we
> would need to declare them.

Which is a good thing, not only for security reasons :)

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998