[Kolab-devel] IMAP annotation for groupware folder descriptions

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Sep 18 23:33:02 CEST 2007

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Wednesday 12 September 2007 15:32, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Horde does support assigning a short descriptive string to
>> "shares". Shares within Horde map to groupware IMAP folders on the
>> Kolab server.
>>
>> So far this feature used the "/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc"
>> annotation value on the folders in order to support this specific
>> feature.
>
> I am unsure if we should support these descriptions at all,
> another route would be to propose to remove this from Horde for Kolab
> entirely. Rational: most imap clients will not support it which makes
> this description almost useless in an interoperable way.
> Implementing this in Kontact, Toltec, Konsec and inventing a new
> way to present it to the user might not be worth the gain.
> Instructive user names can already be selected, so I doubt
> that everybody uses those descriptions.
>
> Do the Horde people have well observed use-cases?
>
>> I just added this annotation type to the corresponding definition
>> template for the Cyrus server:
>>
>> http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/templates/i
>>mapd.annotation_definitions.template.in.diff?r1=1.1&r2=1.2
>>
>> "/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc" is a Horde specific attribute name
>> and I wanted to inquire if there is interest to support this feature
>> in other clients too and if it should maybe be renamed to
>> "/vendor/kolab/folder-description"?
>
> This is a question for kolab-format as well, once we know we would
> want to support it. But first we should check if this is really necessary
> for Horde.

It is certainly not necessary for Horde. It is just a feature that is
present at the moment.

If you use MySQL as the Horde backend it is trivial to support the
description feature and there will be users using it. So I doubt that
it will be removed. It has already existed a long time and has
actually always been "supported" by the Kolab driver within Horde
(even the old broken ones). The use of
"/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc" originates from the older driver
versions.

Since it is trivial to support it as an additional annotation on the
IMAP server I'm definitely in favor of keeping it but I don't mind if
it is not going to be implemented in the other clients.

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg