[Kolab-devel] IMAP annotation for groupware folder descriptions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Sep 14 10:13:54 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 15:32, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Horde does support assigning a short descriptive string to
> "shares". Shares within Horde map to groupware IMAP folders on the
> Kolab server.
>
> So far this feature used the "/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc"
> annotation value on the folders in order to support this specific
> feature.

I am unsure if we should support these descriptions at all,
another route would be to propose to remove this from Horde for Kolab
entirely. Rational: most imap clients will not support it which makes
this description almost useless in an interoperable way.
Implementing this in Kontact, Toltec, Konsec and inventing a new
way to present it to the user might not be worth the gain.
Instructive user names can already be selected, so I doubt
that everybody uses those descriptions.

Do the Horde people have well observed use-cases?

> I just added this annotation type to the corresponding definition
> template for the Cyrus server:
>
> http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/templates/i
>mapd.annotation_definitions.template.in.diff?r1=1.1&r2=1.2
>
> "/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc" is a Horde specific attribute name
> and I wanted to inquire if there is interest to support this feature
> in other clients too and if it should maybe be renamed to
> "/vendor/kolab/folder-description"?

This is a question for kolab-format as well, once we know we would
want to support it. But first we should check if this is really necessary
for Horde.

Bernhard