[Kolab-devel] Server 2.2.0b2 release doc remarks

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 11:21:42 CET 2007

Hi

I started the kolab installation yesterday on a remote computer and
planned 6/8H of work on a 1.8Ghz server. But it took more time and I
had to shutdown the connection and also the instllation. (Yes I know
"screen"  :-)

You should add a note about the _immoderate_ installation time
somewhere, just near the 1 or 2Go space disk should be nice. Something
like :
The installation of kolab require the compilation of all the packages
in this directory. This took 7H on my PIV 1.8Ghz, then anticipate your
installation !

Also, some interesting question the notes could answer about the
_immoderate_ intallation time:
- When upgrading, how to reduce the downtime of a production system ?
Is it possible to compile new package on a working system without
stoping it ?
- How to stop the installation process (CTRL-C) and restart it later
without losing the work already done.
- How to take advantage of a SMP system (make -j )

Regards.

On 10/29/07, Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de> wrote:
> * Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> [20071029 16:56]:
> > On Friday 26 October 2007 13:02, Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> > > Kolab server with Horde needs about 1GB of disk space for the initial
> > > install. By default the directory /kolab will be used, which should be
> > > an empty directory or a symbolic link to an empty directory. If this
> > > directory does not yet exist, it will be automatically created.
> > >
> > > For production use it is recommended to create a separate partition for
> > > /kolab (2GB to have some spare) and partitions for /kolab/var (at least
> > > 2GB for log files, virus filtering and caches) and /kolab/var/imapd/spool
> > > (with enough space for your users' mails). For evaluation you could
> > > start with the 2GB partition for /kolab (or for / if you only have one
> > > big partition for your test system) and create the other partitions when
> > > needed. Do _not_ use an NFS mounted drive!
> >
> > Almost fine. Does "initial install" include building the packages?
>
> Yes. If not building the packages, a little bit less space is used,
> so I think about 750MB are used then.
>
> > Hmm maybe we should link to a page explaining this in more details.
>
> I think this would be a moving target and not worth the effort.
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you