[Kolab-devel] Server 2.2.0b2 release doc remarks

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Fri Oct 26 15:25:10 CEST 2007

* Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> [20071025 20:42]:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007 18:25, Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> > > release-notes.txt release-notes.txt,v 1.160 2007/10/19
> > > * Should be longer and contain the previous release notes as well.
> >
> > I already removed the history before 2.1.0, but I really want to
> > have the full history since creation of the 2.2 branch.
>
> I think we should keep the full history since 2.0
> similiar to what postfix does. Usually grepping in there is really helpful.
> Or we include the direct link to it.

Sorry, I originally read
"release-notes.txt should no longer contain the previous release notes"

Ok, I'll add the old release-notes, too.

> > > * Should mention that Horde might create load on the server
> > >   which makes it recommendable to use a second server for this.
> >
> > In this case there should be an install option for only Horde
> > without the other Kolab server components, which is currently not
> > possible out of the box.
>
> We need this scenario, yes, but the hint should be there nontheless.
> Also there is no problem with installing the full package on two machines
> and only use Horde from one (if we had the config options for this.)

Of course full set of packages (to have kolabd for the templates),
but after that the unneeded services should be disabled in
rc.conf.template, maybe in a later version using the web interface.

> > Can anyone provide one which isn't too long?
> > /media/cdrom/kolab-server/install-kolab.sh -H -F -i
> > /media/cdrom/kolab-server
>
>   /cdrom/src/install-kolab.sh -H -F -i /cdrom/src

Today the path is /media/cdrom, but 'src' is indeed a good idea,
though I'll use 'sources' to match the ftp server layout:

# /media/cdrom/sources/install-kolab.sh -H -F -i /media/cdrom/sources
(69 chars, well in the usual line length limit)

> > > * probably should be 2.2.0-beta2 instead of
> > >                 Kolab version (KOLAB_VERSION):      2.2-beta2
> >
> > Of course the release will be called 2.2.0.
> >
> > To make OpenPKG's RPM happy we had the possibility to use:
> > 2.1.99-beta2
> > 2.2-beta2
> > 2.2.0-beta2 with using the Epoch statement
> >
> > PHP/PEAR added further restrictions to what version numbering
> > schemes we can use.
> >
> > There is a bit of discussion about that on this list.
>
> I know, I saw it, but I probably missed the detail for why we leave out
> the ".0". I guess we really should document the result of this discussion
> in the wiki somewhere.

RPM doesn't tolerate '-' in the version number, so it would have
been 2.2.0_beta2 or 2.2.0.beta2 anyway.

RPM considers 2.2.0_beta2 > 2.2.0, because the first one is longer.

RPM considers 2.2.letters vs. 2.2.digits as unsortable, so it will
look at the revision number which is the date in our case, so:
2.2.letters-20071025 < 2.2.digits-20071026

For PHP/PEAR I would have to re-read the discussion, too.

> > > General remarks:
> > > * We should include hints for upgrading older servers.
> > >   Especially from 2.0.4 to 2.2.0 will be interesting.
> >
> > Of course, as I wrote in the README:
> > | Instructions for upgrading from Kolab server 2.0 or 2.1 will be added
> > | in a future version of this document.
>
> I know, my point is: There should be instructions to directly jump
> from 2.0.4 to 2.2.0. And from 2.1.0 to 2.2.0.

That sounds useful, yes.

> In the meantime we could point to a wiki page with first hints.

http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Upgrading
is currently quite empty, this might be a good place to start.

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998