[Kolab-devel] Server 2.2.0b2 release doc remarks

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Fri Oct 26 13:02:30 CEST 2007

* Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> [20071025 20:36]:

> > > Because if you do an install from source with Horde, /kolab will
> > > already use nearly 1GB. You will probably need a bit of disk space
> > > for logs and emails when evaluating Kolab. For production you will
> > > probably use a separate /kolab/var and /kolab/var/imapd/spool
> > > directory, but then you might still want to keep /kolab/RPM/PKG
> > > including packages for security upgrades or minor releases.
> >
> > Can you include this explanation in the doc?  I would appreciate such an
> > explanation, why so much diskspace should be reserved.

We're still talking about the "Quick install instructions" section
in the README, right? :)

> Even easier would be:
> "1 GB for the package plus envisoned user data" or so.

This is something different, 2GB for the /kolab partition is enough
for a quick install for evaluation. For production use you still
want a 2GB partition for /kolab (e.g. for upgraded packages and some
spare just to be on the safe side) and separate space for var and
spool.

I'm about to commit the following text to CVS, please review:

Kolab server with Horde needs about 1GB of disk space for the initial
install. By default the directory /kolab will be used, which should be
an empty directory or a symbolic link to an empty directory. If this
directory does not yet exist, it will be automatically created.

For production use it is recommended to create a separate partition for
/kolab (2GB to have some spare) and partitions for /kolab/var (at least
2GB for log files, virus filtering and caches) and /kolab/var/imapd/spool
(with enough space for your users' mails). For evaluation you could
start with the 2GB partition for /kolab (or for / if you only have one
big partition for your test system) and create the other partitions when
needed. Do _not_ use an NFS mounted drive!

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998