[Kolab-devel] Declaring a new folder type for Horde preferences

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Oct 15 14:37:50 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 15:22, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > Unless we are sure that this will solve the general problem,
> > we should not do it in my opinion. If all clients just declare new email
> > and folder-types for their internal data, this seems suboptimal.
>
> We don't have to use the IMAP driver on Kolab2/OpenPKG if you don't
> like it. But from the recent discussions it became obvious that the
> current kolab format specification explicitely allows declaring new
> folder types. So why would that be suboptimal?

Because we would ideally want all clients to understand each other.
An unknown folder will be displayed by other clients and look ugly,
beside the danger of it being manipulated by the other clients.
Another thought is about data being possibly dublicated and users
confused by this data.

Think about folder descriptions:
You give a folder a description because you are using Horde, which will
save it in its own folder, now you tell our cowording: Its the folder with
this description. But your coworking might be using Kontact and will
not see it.

Bernhard